Sunday, November 23, 2014

Lot of Lumpia

While Scott hung out with Clarence, I had a special party to run at a friend's house. Before I talk about the party, though, a little back story is in order.

My mother, who died nearly 9 years ago, was Filipina. Growing up, I got to sample many ethnic cuisine. Among her specialties was Lumpia. Lumpia is the Filipino version of an egg roll, but instead of a heavy cabbage base, it is more meat based. And while it can have cabbage, my mother's did not have any. And instead of short and fat, it was long and skinny. Filled with a mixture of ground beef, carrots, onion, garlic, and seasonings, it is absolutely delicious.

Scott had got to sample Lumpia while my mother was still alive. He instantly loved it. My mother had taught me her recipe and one of the few times I had made some was for our wedding. Lumpia is a tedious recipe and takes a lot of time to make. Of course, Scott had Lumpia on his bucket list.

I wanted a supply of Lumpia for any time he fancied having some. How was I going to do this? Plan a party, of course. And thus, "Lots of Lumpia" was born. I invited a limited number of friends to gather with me and learn the art of making Lumpia. I pre-made several trays of meat mixture the night before. And on November 22nd, over a dozen friends gathered together to help me make over 150 rolls! For their hard work and effort, everyone walked away with about a dozen rolls and a copy of my mother's recipe.

Scott was quite happy with the end result and our freezer is stocked with Lumpia to last us quite some time.

The more sensible bunch!

The goofy, crazy bunch!

Yes, sometimes I do get in the picture myself.

Yummy goodness waiting to be eaten!

Lots of Lumpia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment