Saturday, October 15, 2011

Faux Sushi

 Yesterday, I attended a surprise party for a good friend of mine at Old Chicago's.  It was a good time, despite my stomach twisting and turning most of the day (and into last night). 

Anyway, Scott and I saw this neat idea to use rice krispy treats and various candies to make sushi.  He told me that we should totally do this for our friend.

Thursday, after the kids went to bed, I got to work.  I sent Scott on a last minute errand to Walmart for some extra supplies.

I found several examples and a video tutorial online on how to make sushi rolls.
Here were my supplies:

  • Rice Krispy cereal
  • Marshmallows
  • Butter
  • Fruit by the Foot - most Fruit by the Foot come in varying colors, but I couldn't find green.  But King Soopers (Kroger) had a generic version of fruit by the foot that was "alien" themed, so not only was it green, but it had these white specks (see pictures below)
  • Swedish Fish - for the nigiri
  • Starburts (pinks & orange) - flattened for the nigiri and put into a few rolles
  • Twizzlers (red) - inserted into the rolls
  • Gummy worms (green & yellow or green & white) - inserted into the rolls
  • Orange Slices - rolled flat and shaped to look like ginger
  • Optional: Green Maraschino Cherries or green Starbursts (for wasabi)

Tips & Tricks:
  • Make Rice Krispies as directed, except throw in some extra marshmallows to make them more malleable.  
  • When making the rolls, make sure the flattened rice krispy sheet is still somewhat warm.  
  • It will be sticky!
How-to videos:
http://video.about.com/candy/How-to-Make-Candy-Sushi.htm
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/mock-sushi-687463/


Here are the finished results:






No comments:

Post a Comment