Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Angry Birds Birthday Party! Part 1

Tristan wanted a Spiderman party.  Then he wanted a dragon party.  One day he was watching me browse Pinterest for birthday party ideas when I came across some Angry Birds birthday party stuff.  That's when he changed his mind again and for the last time.

And I was excited!  I immediately began pinning anything Angry Birds to my party ideas board on Pinterest.  I am so addicted to that site!



First was the invitation.  I designed it on my computer and printed them on card stock.  I compiled a few ideas I found online.







The inside says "Come crash the party!" at the top and has general who, what, where, information in the blue area.




Anyhow, the week before the party, I began working on the fondant birds and pigs.
I started with the body shapes with indentations for the ears and tail feathers.  I let these sit overnight to harden.

I spent a good part of my Sunday working on the details.  Okay, I spent almost all of my Sunday working on the details.  I started at about 9:30 am and worked until about 4:00pm.  Yikes!

But I am quite happy with the results.

The pigs were not too difficult.  Here is how each element was made:

Ears
The ears started as a tear drop shape, then slightly flattened at the base of the drop.  I then indented the inside of the ear a bit and folded the edges slightly inwards.  Using a brush, I wet the inside of the holes I made earlier and then I inserted the tip of the ears inside the hole.  

Nose
The nose started as a small bean shaped bit of fondant, flattened and adhered to the pig body with a bit of water.  The nostrils varied by pig.  For nearly all pigs, I just roughly rolled small pieces of black fondant into spheres and flattened them without caring too much about getting a perfect circle and closer to slight oval shapes.  Also, I tried to let each nostril on each pig slightly vary in size.  For the mustache pigs they had a bit of a kidney shape to them so I rolled out a small bean shaped piece before flattening.

Mouth/Mustache
The mouth was cut from a piece of flattened fondant in the shape of a circle.  I used an exacto knife to cut the piece just below the point of being a half circle.  The mustache was used out of fondant died in orange, red, and a small tint of brown (you don't need too much of any of these colors).  I flattened out the fondant and used an exacto knife to cut out my desired shape.  Ultimately, it is a triangle that has the top point cut off with slits cut across the bottom.  The middle slit is wider (upside down v-shape).

Eyes
The eyes are basic circles.  If you're lucky enough, you can use icing tips to cut out your circles.  I'm not sure about the numbers, but depending on how big you make your pigs, the tip size can vary as well.  Otherwise, form your fondant into spheres and flattened.  Position the black circles in varying positions form each other (see pictures as a guide).
Eyebrows
Take a small piece of black fondant (or white for the mustache pig) and rolled it out to a very thin "snake" but keep the ends thin as you roll it out. Using and exacto knife, cut both ends off at about the length of the radius of the eyes.  You'll have a tapered look to them (see the king pig below for a good example of this).  
Special props
I created a helmet, which is just some dark gray fondant shaped like a bowl and some small strips of brown fondant adhered below the gray bowl so it looks like it is sticking out from underneath.
The crown is yellow fondant rolled out and using an exacto knife, I cut out the shape of the crown (a rectangle where one long end had spikes [skinny, tall triangles] sticking out of it).  I rolled it together so the short ends met and stuck them together slightly with my finger.  I used the barrel of the exacto knife to wrap the crown around to keep a round shape (a pencil or pen barrel would work too).  I then used a small round decorating tip to cut out blue circles to adhere to the crown.

 



The birds were more intense than the pigs, I think.  I used this awesome tutorial to figure these guys out.  After creating the black and red birds from the tutorial, I used the same concepts to create the blue, yellow,  and white birds.  To make sure I was getting them right, though, I found pictures of others' creations as a visual guide.  
 
 

Up next: Angry Birds Birthday Party! Part 2 (the cakes)

No comments:

Post a Comment