Saturday, May 31, 2014

The journey begins


After finding out about Scott's stroke, I was left with many questions and many concerns. From February 21st to March 31st, Scott had to deal with a very tough journey. Away from me and the kids, stuck in the hospital, he felt alone. As he came to grips with the cancer and his disability, he had many moments of intense sadness. We were told that if he works at it, he could eventually learn to walk and regain much of what he lost. 

After leaving the ICU and a brief stint in a recovery ward, he was moved to the rehabilitation unit. Several hours a day working with physical, occupational, and speech therapists, Scott began to relearn what he had lost. Cognitively, he did great. His vision was limited, especially his peripheral vision to his left. He had tracking issues, too. But his greatest challenge was just trying to sit up.

His therapists pushed him hard. He had days where he had back pain from everything. I remember he initially was very stubborn about his back hurting and refusing to sit in his chair upright. It was tough seeing him suffer, to be in pain. When he was about 2 weeks from his planned discharge date, we had a family meeting. All his caregivers and therapists got together with us to discuss where he was at and what we would need to plan for. I remember them saying that at his current ability level, he would need two people to assist him at home for transfers and help in the bathroom. After the meeting, I had a discussion with Scott. I told him that he has a lot of work to do in two weeks. I told him that he needs to be at only one person assist. We can't afford for a two person assist status. 

That weekend, I had a lot going on and couldn't visit him. But he sent me many texts to tell me he's working on his ability to sit upright unassisted. During the weekends, he didn't have therapy, so he mostly just lied in bed. This time, he was working his core muscles to help support his upper body. On Monday, I went to see him and as I came to his room he was sitting upright, on his own, trying to change his own clothes. It was an awesome sight to see! He was so proud of himself. Unfortunately, he freaked out a nurse or two with his sitting up abilities.

Over the next two weeks, he progressed at lightning speed. Sitting up unassisted, doing tasks while sitting up, using a wheelchair, and practicing walking. It was amazing. He found his motivation to try harder and did so. The month and a half while he was in the hospital was difficult. I wanted so much to be with him every night, but I had four kids at home that I had to be with, too. Melayna, our youngest, started sleeping in my bed with me. She took showers with me. She clung to me. 

We eventually got through it. When he finally came home, it wouldn't be to the home he left. But that's for another post!

Scott and his Perry the Platypus. Given to him by our good friend, Tim.

Scott practicing standing and taking steps with therapists

Another view of him and his therapist practicing his mobility

Scott's first excursion out of the hospital. They didn't go far, but he got some fresh air and sunshine!

Scott on one of the exercise/rehab equipment

Scott with the two oldest kids. They shaved their heads for their dad.

A comparison of Scott's facial control. After surgery, his left side became paralyzed. As time passed, he regained some control of facial muscles

Scott in his first appointment with the radiation oncologist sporting his Jayne hat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment